Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-ui-3] auto cursor should behaves as default cursor except for text?

From: François REMY via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 19:53:00 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> What other kind of editability cannot be handled in the UA stylesheet?

Not entirely sure if such thing exists or not; maybe that second part isn't actually required, but I am afraid there are people currently using `cursor:auto` on edit fields today and getting their expected behavior in all browsers, and I am not sure we want to break that.

Since what is considered editable might vary per platform (for example, an input type="color" might be a textbox in some browser, hence editable, and a button in another, hence not editable): what value should authors use if they want to specify a custom cursor on that element with a fallback cursor? I would argue they should specify "auto" as fallback and let the browser decide whether the control is editable/selectable and display the default/text cursor depending on that, and not hardcode a value that works for their specific browser/platform and looks weird on others).

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1598#issuecomment-335928109 using your GitHub account