[csswg-drafts] [css-align] don't introduce baseline alignment to table columns

From: L. David Baron via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2017 20:05:18 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
dbaron has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-align] don't introduce baseline alignment to table columns ==
The [section on Baseline Content Alignment](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-align/#distribution-flex) and the [definition of alignment context](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-align/#shared-alignment-context) introduce a concept of baseline alignment to table columns, which can happen when the writing mode of the cells is orthogonal to that of the table.  (The parts in-between are defined (by the [Applies to line of `writing-mode`](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-writing-modes-3/#block-flow) to have the same writing mode as the table.)

I think this is a very complicated feature, and should not be introduced.

Table layout is a rather complicated algorithm that is not particularly symmetric.  Column size calculation happens first, followed by layout and row size calculation.  Introducing baseline alignment to the column phase would be a complicated change, and it's not clear to me how it would work.  It is more complex than the union of:
* introducing character alignment
* doing intrinsic sizing of orthogonal table cells
since it has most of the issues that both of those problems have, and then I think some of its own.

I don't think the complexity is justified without substantial evidence of demand.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1422 using your GitHub account