Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-align] Allowing fallback alignments without breaking shorthands

From: Mats Palmgren via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2017 11:33:11 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I don't think this syntax issue should be deferred to L4, because adopting the proposal to use `/` as the separator will be impossible at that point since it wouldn't be backwards compatible.  `place-content:space-between start`  currently means `align-content: space-between; justify-content: start` whereas if we adopt `/` as the separator and allow for fallback values in the shorthands, then it's a single value and means `align-content:space-between start; justify-content:space-between start`.

It seems to me that `/` was actually the preferred separator by most people when the shorthands were discussed in issue #595.  Using space as the separator was only accepted under the assumption that fallback values and `<overflow-position>` would never be allowed in the shorthands. It seems that assumption is now false and I would like to withdraw my "commenter satisfied" for issue #595, fwiw :-).

If you don't want to resolve on an extended syntax here for L3, then I request that these shorthands be deferred wholesale to L4 to avoid creating a situation were the preferred syntax can't be introduced because it would break the web.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by MatsPalmgren
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1002#issuecomment-302867617 using your GitHub account