Re: [csswg-drafts] Please define how the various box tree fixups interact

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 23:14:21 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> No, I mean ruby-triggered inlinization. Gecko does in fact do all the computed display bits first, before we start doing anything with boxes, because sanity.

Then I'm not sure what you're referring to; Grid blockification and Ruby inlinification can't happen to the same elements.

> It claims to be dated today. ;) Anyway, clearly changes to the ruby draft are needed; we all agree on that, which is good.

The spec generator runs multiple times a day, and the CI we're using doesn't automatically inform the spec of when it was last meaningfully touched, so *all* the Bikeshedded drafts claim to be updated today. ^_^  (I'll bug plinss about this - I think we can do something about that.)

@fantasai and I just reviewed the Ruby spec real quick; at minimum, steps 1 and 2 of the fixup algo need to be swapped, which she's doing right now.  We'll actually fix the Step 2 text (which is inconsistent with Display's model, and how Flexbox/Grid now work) in a separate issue.

Hmm. @fantasai and I will have to think a bit on how to expose an anchor reasonably in a way that reads well when used.

> And again, adding a fixup should be a sane process, which means being able to easily determine what other fixups it needs to interact with.

A given fixup is either adjusting computed styles or adding anonymous boxes, which determines where it goes automatically.  And as I outlined before, I think all the fixups in each category are either compatible or mutually exclusive, so they don't need an explicit ordering yet.  Right?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1355#issuecomment-301941020 using your GitHub account