Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-multicol-1][css-display-3] Introduce a 'display' value for multi-column layout

From: Sebastian Zartner via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 10:18:27 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> I don't understand, what would be the difference between a `columns` and a `flow-root` inner display type?

Right, `flow-root` seems to cover this use case already. I simply missed that.

> I think the exclusions in Flexbox and Grid should be solved by updating Multi-column and saying that these properties only apply to block containers.

+1 on that. Created issue #1364 to discuss that.

> And how would this new inner display type allow to merge the different `*-gap` properties?

It allows to define an `item-gap` property (or however it's called in the end) as a property replacing the other `*-gap` properties (make them aliases of it), that strictly relates to the chosen `display` value.

> @SebastianZ While this would have been the correct thing to do originally, the multicol properties have existed for a long time and have relatively high usage, so there's no way to change them now. As such, adding a display:columns value would have zero effect; we'd still have to support the use of the multicol properties on blocks.

The idea is to make `grid-gap`, `flex-gap`, and `column-gap` aliases of `item-gap` and deprecate them at the same time (and maybe remove them in the future when their usage dropped enough).

As my use case seems to be covered by `flow-root`, I close this issue.

Sebastian

--
GitHub Notification of comment by SebastianZ
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1352#issuecomment-301040263 using your GitHub account