[csswg-drafts] [css-multicol] allow percentages for `column-gap`

From: Chris Harvey via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 04:35:29 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
chharvey has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-multicol] allow percentages for `column-gap` ==
Please allow percentage values for `column-gap`. An example use case would be:

```css
.article {
  column-count: 3; /* each 30% */
  column-gap: 5%;
}
```

'Percentages' would be from the calculated width of the containing block.

Links
- https://drafts.csswg.org/css-multicol-1/#column-gap
- https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Feb/0494.html
- https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Feb/0572.html

As I understand it, percentages are not allowed on `column-width` because using `column-count` is preferred for a fluid layout. This makes sense, and I agree, but it sounds like a case of "we're disallowing this feature because it's bad practice." I'm not sure how that fits into CSSWG values.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1321 using your GitHub account