Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-multicol] 'column-span' and tables

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 04:22:02 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I am still a tad fuzzy on how to make that edit, due to a lack of anchoring terminology. We do have a definition for "formatting context", but not as far as I can tell for "establishes new a formatting context". If it doesn't already establish one in the absence of column span, which one should it use:  block, inline, something else? The answer is block, but where does that come form, spec wise?

css-contain used to have a [very similar problem](https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/830),  which was solved by adding this section: https://drafts.csswg.org/css-contain/#becoming-formatting-context

Should we move that section / definition from css-contain to css-display, and refer to it from both css-contain and css-multicol?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1071#issuecomment-290298527 using your GitHub account