Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts][css-text] Variation Selection of Colorful (Emoji) or Monochrome Glyphs

From: Amelia Bellamy-Royds via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2017 22:02:16 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
When I mentioned the "current default", I was referring to the characters what Unicode calls ["default emoji presentation characters"](http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr51/index.html#Emoji_Characters).

The only browser/OS combinations I tried that applied emoji-style to Unicode snowman (U+2603, a "default text presentation character" in the [Unicode emoji data](http://unicode.org/Public/emoji/4.0/emoji-data.txt)), in the absence of a variation selector codepoint, was Mobile Safari 10. Mobile Safari 9 uses text presentation.  Given that this is contrary to Unicode recommendations, I think it's safe to call that a bug in that one browser, and not be worried about maintaining compatibility with something that isn't web-compatible anyway.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/352#issuecomment-285184073 using your GitHub account