[csswg-drafts] [css-contain-1] do we need layout containment in a single dimension to enable container queries

From: L. David Baron via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 01:02:17 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
dbaron has just created a new issue for
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-contain-1] do we need layout containment in a single dimension
 to enable container queries ==
One thing that came up at the [extensible Web
summit](https://ti.to/bocoup/extensible-web-summit) in Boston on
Friday was a discussion of container queries.

While I'd [previously
suggested](https://github.com/ResponsiveImagesCG/container-queries/issues/3#issuecomment-185951645)
 tying container queries to CSS containment, one thing I realized is
that there will be cases where developers want to fix the width from
the outside but still allow an auto height, and then do media queries
on the container's width.

I haven't thought this through very much, but it seems to me that this
 may require a concept of layout containment in a single dimension to
be exposed from containment.

Please view or discuss this issue at
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1031 using your GitHub
account