Re: [csswg-drafts] [selectors4] Name the “functional pseudo-class like :matches() with 0 specificity”

From: Lea Verou via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2017 23:33:29 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I would vote for `:is()`. It's short, and it explains what it does. IIRC most people were in favor of `:is()` both in the thread and at the F2F. If you want an explicit resolution, we could add it to the agenda.

This is the twitter thread where I asked authors for ideas: https://twitter.com/LeaVerou/status/928426600558862337
As you will see, the results are not very useful.

Regarding the other names:
- `:when` sounds time-related
- `:nospecificity` is ridiculously long and prevents any possibility of expansion in the future to allow setting specificity, as @tabatkins suggested.
- `:filter` is confusing because it sounds related to the `filter` property and the `filter()` function.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by LeaVerou
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2143#issuecomment-354374459 using your GitHub account