Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-backgrounds] 'border' shorthand resets 'border-image' but can't set it

From: Brad Kemper via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 14:15:08 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@frivoal I thought there must be a reason that I didn’t remember or didn’t pay close attention to at the time. I just meant that it seemed like an exception, rather than the rule. In general, aside from unfortunate naming mistakes like border-radius, I would expect a `foo` shorthand to reset all `foo-*` properties.

I suppose if `text-decoration-skip` could be an exception, then so could `border-image`, but I think changing it now would likely break too much, as @dbaron indicated. And as @ameliaBR indicates, people intuitively expect border images to be reset by `border`. I think they just don’t expect extra rules written out in their editor (or browser developer tools) when it happens.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by bradkemper
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2108#issuecomment-353361107 using your GitHub account