Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-text-3] overflow-wrap: break-spaces can effect behavior even when there are previous breaking opportunities in the line

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 06:29:52 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Ok, now I understand what you're talking about.

I am not sure I understand why you want that change though. Can you elaborate on "overflow-wrap: break-word shouldn't cause any behavior change, because white space exists earlier in the line."

>From my point of view, there's are many variations that different people can want in different contexts, and the current syntax seemed to me that it enabled all the ones I knew about.

In particular, the variation you seem to want to get rid of (break between t and the first space) is the one that matches command line / terminals / vi and similar things.

That said, this was introduced before line-break:anywhere existed, and maybe now that is sufficient to cover this use case.

In other words, if `white-space: pre-wrap; overflow-wrap: break-spaces; line-break:anywhere` does breaks between the t and space in your example, then I'd probably be OK if `white-space: pre-wrap; overflow-wrap: break-word break-spaces` didn't.

I'm not sure I 100% understand why you'd want to change it this way (and how you'd update the text to make it go that way), but I'd probably be OK with it.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2003#issuecomment-351925240 using your GitHub account