Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-grid] Resolving 'fr' flexible lengths during intrinsic sizing of grid items

From: Rossen Atanassov via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 23:44:45 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
In order to avoid blowing up the intrinsic content size when a single flexible track approaches 0 (even if the sum is > 1), the grid spec treats flex factors < 1 as 1 during https://drafts.csswg.org/css-grid/#algo-find-fr-size (otherwise if you had 0.01fr and 1fr tracks with similar max-content values, the second track would blow up in size).  This is a slightly different approach than the one flexbox took when the space is indefinite, but when the space is definite I think they are equivalent.  Edge's current implementation is closer to the flexbox algorithm, but we can change if this is the behavior we want to stick with.

At first I thought Chrome's algorithm wasn't per-spec, but after reading through the algorithm carefully, I think Chrome's behavior does indeed match the spec.  See https://codepen.io/anon/pen/JOqOey for an explanation.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by atanassov
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1120#issuecomment-349812808 using your GitHub account