Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-text-3] word-break: break-all doesn't break before sentence-ending punctuation if UAX #14 is used

From: karlrim via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 17:02:04 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Sometimes people just type a few periods like.... um....
In my case I'm writing a text editor with a fixed layout and number of max characters, like a 60x15 grid of characters.  We have business reasons for this.  In any case when the text wraps unexpectedly, it throws off our layout and simply looks bad.  Adding <wbr> between the periods as well as any other punctuation that might cause this wrapping is doable but a pain to implement.

In other browsers like FireFox, the breaking on the periods works.  It's hard for me to imagine why anyone would WANT the break to occur between the last two letters instead of the periods.
If that's the issue is it possible to introduce some new break setting to insure the break occurs at the last character no matter what they are so as not to effect the existing break-all behavior?

--
GitHub Notification of comment by karlrim
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1171#issuecomment-293013227 using your GitHub account