Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts-4] font-stretch is unfortunately named

On Thu, 2016-09-29 at 12:09 -0700, Chris Lilley wrote:
> I agree that this name has, in practice, caused confusion. In a
world
> where fake bold and fake italic (obliquing) are common, people often
> assume that font-stretch geometrically stretches or shrinks the
glyph
> outlines.

Which in at least on implementation I use, it does. And it's a useful
feature at times - e.g. if you use it with the stroked (not filled)
version of Courier, the result can be very acceptable.

Maybe access to the font transformation matrix should be added at the
same time this is clarified? Or maybe it's not worth-while, given that
you can open the font in a font editor and adjust it.

Liam

--
Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org>
The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)

--
GitHub Notification of comment by liamquin
Please view or discuss this issue at