Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts-4] [varfont] @font-face descriptors should accept ranges

From: litherum via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 23:34:06 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
 on behalf of @nattokirai:

> Would there be a value in allowing the font-face descriptors (e.g.,
> font-weight, font-stretch) to take two values, defining the range
> available from the file?

Yes, that's another possibility and others have suggested this for
`@font-face` font descriptor values. It would make the font matching
algorithm a bit more complex and I was hoping to avoid making it any
more complex than it already is.

My hunch is that with variable fonts we don't need to make the font
descriptor syntax more complex. Once all user agents support variable
fonts the set of `@font-face` rules will boil down to one or two rules
 per family. All the variations will be defined within the font
itself. The `@font-face` would just look something like:

```css
@font-face {
  font-family: BodyText;
  src: url(something-variable);
  /* no need to define additional descriptors for a variable font */
}
```

--
GitHub Notification of comment by litherum
Please view or discuss this issue at