Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-grid] Percentages and intrinsic size

From: Eric A. Meyer via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 15:43:37 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Of Manuel’s three options, I have a slight preference for A.  This
might be due to my having gotten very used to the idea that tracks can
 spill out of grid containers.  Maybe a little _too_ used to the idea,
 honestly.  But it’s straightforward to explain and understand, and
fits with what authors generally expect from regular blocks.

I greatly dislike B—assuming any percentage to be zero will lead to
deeply unintuitive results, effectively indistinguishable from bugs to
 the average author.

I kind of like C, given that it taps into long-extant behavior.  There
 are already descriptions of how to resolve similar situations in the
table-layout module of CSS, and they could be leveraged.  I’m just not
 sure they’re the best behavior for grids, so I lean away from C a
bit.

But I think Jen’s onto something with treating these situations as if
they were a species of `minmax()` values.  The trick is picking the
right minimum and maximum values.  Jen’s values might be right, or
there might be better; I don’t know.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by meyerweb
Please view or discuss this issue at