Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-overflow] Add mechanism for disabling scrollbars

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 09:21:49 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> But, personally my preference would be to just have a value3 that
hides any scrollbar entirely and reserves no space, as I think having
a rational platform is most important here

Note that we *have* that value; it's called `hidden`. It's not
pannable, but you can scroll via script.  So we're not trying to
explain anything fundamental here, we're trying to give a more
convenient shorthand for some case that might be common enough to be
worth simplifying - making something scrollable but not showing
scrollbars (at least, on devices that make it easy to scroll via some
direct gesture).

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/419#issuecomment-247946270