Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-grid] Percentages of indefinite sizes in grid gaps

From: Jen Simmons via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 21:43:59 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
People are going to expect that grid-gaps take % unit as a value. That
 is the standard way to do responsive web design — and has been since
day 1. I expect that over time, as people shift their thinking, they
might decide that using an fr unit makes more sense. Or setting it to
a rem/em/px number. But for the first few years, as people switch
layout mental models, they will be confused and angered if % doesn't
work. I know some folks in the CSSWG don't believe that using % as a
gutter is common, but I've asked a few people as I've traveled around
(since this first came up on a call), and they look at me like I'm
crazy for suggesting someone would make a layout without % for a
gutter.

Please, yes, let's ship with %'s allowed. There are real reasons to
use them. They are commonly used now.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by jensimmons
Please view or discuss this issue at