Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-align] Add shorthands for alignment properties

From: Mats Palmgren via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 01:35:03 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@dbaron tells me that having a shorthand and longhand with the same
name is impossible to implement in Gecko.  So that excludes `align` as
 the prefix.

It appears that `arrange` and `place` are the two most popular
prefixes, and I believe the separator must be something else than
space (see my comments above), I suggest '`/`'.
So to write them out, we have:
```
arrange-items: <align-items> / <justify-items>
arrange-self: <align-self> / <justify-self>
arrange-content: <align-content> / <justify-content>
```
or

```
place-items: <align-items> / <justify-items>
place-self: <align-self> / <justify-self>
place-content: <align-content> / <justify-content>
```
(other prefixes suggested: `compose distribute spread splay position
align2d`)

The voting tally for these two are (if I counted correctly):
achalv: arrange
MatsPalmgren: place (4 likes)
jensimmons: place
rchrdnsh: place (2 likes)
SebastianZ: place (1 like)
liamquin: arrange
malyw: place
danilovaz: place (1 like)
dancork: arrange
rachelandrew: arrange

which seems to make `place` the winner.

Perhaps the CSSWG can make a decision so that we can start
implementing it? :-)
Thanks.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by MatsPalmgren
Please view or discuss this issue at