Re: [csswg-drafts] [mediaqueries][css-conditional] else

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 23:33:48 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
If we were, today, trying to invent supports queries, and someone
suggested just putting them into our sole existing conditional rule
(`@media`), I'd be receptive. But we aren't - we already have two
specialized conditional rules that handle different kinds of things
(and a third that was proposed and exists in Firefox user-level
stylesheets), so it's weird to privilege one of them.

Also, media queries have a weird legacy syntax with their media types
that makes this a little stranger.  Overall not that great.  Starting
fresh and putting all the types of queries on an equal footing is
simple and easy.

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/112#issuecomment-221738313