Re: [csswg-drafts] [mediaqueries][css-conditional] else

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 20:58:47 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Yeah, Sass usage does not trump CSS. But there's also no reason to be
hostile to the developer community when we can easily avoid such.  In
this case, I think there are several names that work just fine in
place of `@if`.

> By the way, why not just extend `@media` to use it itself as `@if`?

Are you asking why `@media` can't be used at the start of a
conditional chain? It can be - the conditional chain just needs to be
started by any conditional group rule other than `@else-when` or
`@else`.

Or are you asking why we don't just extend `@media` to have the full
value set that I've defined `@when` to have?  That's because it would
be weird; there's nothing media-like about supports queries, or about
other kinds of queries we might do in the future (like the `@url`
rule).  It also would make the grammar very complicated.

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/112#issuecomment-221705542