Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-grid] Allow grid-positioning of indirect children

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 22:39:15 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I think, if you have a nested form structure, it gets very difficult
to make it really work. E.g.
```
  <section>
    <label>button</label>
    <form> ... </form>
  </section>
```

We could use `display: contents` to strip the <section> and auto-place
 all the buttons into the first column, but there's no way to place
the form into a grid slot _that spans all those rows_. And if you have
 sub-forms, then I'm not sure what you'd do. Regions could solve this
easily, because it can rearrange the content. If you're willing to
potentially have a scrollbar for the form area, you could also do it
with abspos, because abspos can jump the containing block ancestry
into the main grid--but you can't do it in-flow otherwise, not without
 the descendant grid-positioning that was in Bert's original proposal.

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/313#issuecomment-232507750