Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-color] predefined spaces

From: Chris Lilley via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 12:24:16 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
It would be good to add a predefined CMYK space, but we don't have to
do that in this level.

On the one hand, CMYK (and other printer) profiles are much larger
than RGB ones, so having a fallback to a predefined CMYK colorspace
avoids delays while a large profile loads.

On the other hand, CMYK profiles are more likely to be used in print
or mixed print/web workflows which may well use offline rendering to
PDF for the print part and can stand to wait for a profile to load.
And SWOP is US-centric, so adding just that one could be problematic.

I don't oppose adding a CMYK predefined profile in this level, but
won't object of we don't, either. it depends more on what the likely
users and implementors, such as publishers, want.

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/292#issuecomment-232339164