Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-color] Unnecessary comma in color()

From: Brad Kemper via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 13:43:48 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
One of the big criticisms of rgba() is that the 'a' part is in a
different number format (0-1, vs. 0-255). If 'color()' with rgb and
'a' parts is similarly inconsistent (0%-100%, vs. 0-1), then it isn't
an improvement on that front.

Commas are reasonable ways to separate groups of values in CSS. So are
 slashes, when commas won't do. I think having a distinctive separator
 on either side of the color components would be a good thing, and
would improve readability. It would also mean we could allow the
author to choose between 0-1 and 0%-100% for each of the r,g,b, and a
components. That would be nice. Thus, the author could use all 0-1 for
 consistency with legacy alpha and between numbers, or use all
percentages if they want.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by bradkemper
Please view or discuss this issue at