Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-color] lch() function needs to use CSS types properly.

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 21:06:04 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> This is a usability drawback with no compensating advantage except
for theoretical purity. I chose compatibility with existing practice
as preferable.

You should be choosing compat with **CSS**, not with outside usage.
The latter just results in an inconsistent language with annoying
footguns.  We *must*, *at minimum*, make the argument `[ <angle> |
<number> ]`.

I don't particularly want the "or `<number>`" part either - "unitless
angles" are not applicable across all of CSS, so it's another random
oddity that people have to remember - they can omit the unit if
they're using degrees in *these* places but not *those* places.
Better to be consistent and let people learn only a single way to do
things; saving three characters (but losing a small amount of
readability) isn't worth it.

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/278#issuecomment-231864990
using your GitHub account