Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-color] lch() function needs to use CSS types properly.

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 01:12:47 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Okay, lch() now uses `<hue>`, same as hsl(). That accepts `<number> |
<angle>`.

I still argue that lightness is a percentage.  In most cases it's
interpreted the same as the lightness in hsl() - 0 is black and 100 is
 white. The fact that you can go above 100% doesn't make this
not-a-percentage, any more than the fact that you can exceed 100% in
RGB means that those channels aren't percentages.  There is a useful
minimum and maximum value that is typically observed, and those are
typically written as 0 and 100, which is basically percentages.

Trying to argue that 50% == .5, rather than 50, is silly. By the same
argument, `vw` units wouldn't be percentages, when they clearly are -
we're just expressing them in a more-specific unit that equals 1% of
the viewport width.  We had the same argument (`50vw` or `.5vw`) when
we first designed those units, and the group agreed that it's easy and
 natural to make percentage-like units use a [0-100] range rather than
 [0,1].

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/278#issuecomment-235769295