From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 19:43:44 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Yeah, lacking an actual definition of how we would content-negotiate
non-image things, this should be specialized to `<image>` for now. It
can be expanded to handle other types as we actually allow them,
likely with specialized functions akin to `image()`.

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/216#issuecomment-268875386