Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-color] Unnecessary comma in color()

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 05:50:46 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Comma have (are?) a descender, while the rest of the characters used
don't (unless you use old style figures). So yes, they absolutely do
stick out more and mark a stronger visual separation. However, to me
the question is not that, it is whether there is sufficient separation
 when the comas are removed, and I think that this is the case.

As far as I am concerned, even with the commas, a string of numbers
like this is something that:
- as a whole, stands out visually, and is easy to identify in the
middle of a longer piece of text/code
- in detail, is something I'll have to parse rather than read, and
space separation seems sufficient to me to identify the components
with no more effort than it takes to parse them anyway.

---
Tongue in cheek: if we want to go for clear visual separation, I
suggest this:

color: lch(55.3 🍡  84.5 🍡 10.25, #F06);
fill: lch(85.5 🍡 43.1 🍡 79.1);
color: lab(55.3 🍡 83.1 🍡 15.0 / 75%, #F06);

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/266#issuecomment-265659079