Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts-4] font-stretch is unfortunately named

On Tue, 2016-12-06 at 14:05 -0800, Nick Sherman wrote:

> The main difference with most of the other unfortunate naming
choices
> is that `font-stretch` support still hasn't been widely implemented
> (if at all).

AntennaHouse Formatter implements it, synthesizing a font of the
appropriate width if necessary.

I think YesLogic's PrinceXML also implements it, but does not seem to
synthesize a font if needed.

The CSS font model doesn't seem to let you say, "I want _this_ font
with _this_ transformation done to it" except for very limited cases -
the renderer will synthesize a font that renders in blue if needed, or
that has underlines, or is slanted, but you can't take the slanted
font
and unslant it, or the condensed font and expand it. Nor I think can
you choose the first font family from a list where roman, italic,
roman
small caps, discretionary ligatures and historical ligatures are all
present. I still sometimes see Times Roman "fi" ligatures on a page
using Helvetica.

But the fix isn't to rename font-stretch. It might be to add an @font-
family or something, I'm not sure.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by liamquin
Please view or discuss this issue at