Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-grid] Stretching image grid items in both dimensions

From: Rachel Andrew via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 05:55:24 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> "making stretch ratio-destroying and normal ratio-preserving gives
the author a lot more control over the resizing behavior. And since
normal is the default, specifying center or whatever in one axis gives
 ratio-preserving resizing by default. It's only when the author
explicitly specifies stretch that the resizing starts to be
ratio-destroying."

Yes, this makes sense to me having just re-read this discussion. As an
 author you don't expect the ratio of an image to be changed unless
you specifically request that to happen.

I can see situations occurring where in development test data doesn't
highlight the ratio destroying behaviour. However once the site is
live and real data is added via a CMS etc. images start to look
weirdly stretched. By making the default ratio preserving then in that
 scenario images might overflow a box or have unwanted gaps but I
think that is closer to how authors expect things to behave.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by rachelandrew
Please view or discuss this issue at