Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-align][css-grid][css-flexbox] wrong assumptions about baselines only occurring in the inline axis

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 04:06:06 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
OK, so I sat down with some people at Microsoft to go over this, and
it seems we have a problem: block-axis baselines aren't really a thing
 that should exist for a box. The problem is illustrated by this
example:

Imagine a grid with three items in a column:
  1. First item is horizontal-tb
  2. Second item is vertical-lr
  3. Third item is vertical-rl
If we try to baseline-align the first column, which baseline do we use
 for the horizontal-tb item? The vertical-lr and vertical-rl items are
 in independent baseline-sharing groups: their first baselines are on
the left and right sides of the column, respectively. But the
horizontal-tb item has no reasonable way to choose left or right as
corresponding to "first".

So my conclusion is that we should remove the concept of block-axis
baselines. A grid column might have baseline alignment along its block
 axis among items with orthogonal flows, but it does not propagate
that up to the grid container.

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/197#issuecomment-239996012