Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-scroll-snap] scroll-snap-padding vs scroll-padding

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 03:59:28 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong, but the proposal here is to

- Define `scroll-snap-padding` to provide a guideline of where in the
viewport the focused content should go when scrolling to something on
the page in general and not just when snapping a snappable element,
since it is already designed to provide this guidance anyway.
- Define “focused content” here to include a URL fragment's target
area when navigating to that fragment (already done in the spec), an
element that is focused while off-screen (and therefore scrolled into
view), a caret that is positioned off-screen (and therefore scrolled
into view), etc.
- Rename `scroll-snap-padding` to `scroll-padding` to accommodate
these changes.

I would propose also to have PageUp/PageDown respond to
`scroll-padding`, since the same concerns apply to it -- the scroll
padding area provides control over breathing space and a way for
authors to exclude the viewport area beneath overlapping content from
what is considered the "visible" area of the scroller.

Key considerations of this proposal:
- Has no effect on layout or scroll origin.
- Provides a declarative replacement for a lot of JS scroll-hacking to
 accommodate UI elements floating over the scrollable area.
- Solves a longstanding request to control screen overlap for paging /
 caret-moving operations.

I'm in favor of this proposal.

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/395#issuecomment-239995319