Re: Digital Press Passes and Decentralized Public Key Infrastructures

On 7/22/21 5:04 PM, David Karger wrote:

> An infrastructure that categories trust by context would be powerful,
> but I fear it would be too complex for most people to manage.   That's
> why the tool we're building uses a generic notion of trust.  Because
> what you are trusting is not people's expertise on a particular topic,
> but rather their tendency to only opine on topics where they have
> expertise.  Thus, your dermatologist who opines on heart transplants
> should not be trusted.

I agree 100%.  To make it a bit more concrete, a key item on the list of
things that should be seriously damaging to one's credibility is making
a claim (without suitable disclaimers) outside of one's area of
credentials. I think most professionals with credentials are quite good
about this.

I see this all the time as a customer/client/patient, where the
professional is careful not to speak on a subject where they don't have
the expertise/credentials. As a recent example I had an xray, and the
technician kind of hinted that everything was fine, but was clear about
how only the doctor could "read" the xray and give me the result.

The problem is that when someone breaks these rules, (1) they are too
often rewarded, and (2) there's no good way to get the word out that
they are breaking the rules.  I'm hoping a technical solution could
address (2) and that might even be enough to address (1) as a side-effect.

But as an informal starting point, we can nudge people toward condemning
people who misuse their credentials.

       -- Sandro