Re: A Credibility Use Case: Lessig v New York Times ("Clickbate Defamation")

Hi all,

I believe that indeed credibility signals would contribute little to steer the reader towards questioning NYTs credibility, unless it systematically publishes such misleading headlines and is slow to respond to rebuttals - as Sandro points out.

It seems that the issue revolves more about readers consuming only the headline vs. the full text. By doing this, there is an expected harm  to Lessig’s reputation that an incomplete reading of the story may cause (ie, his credibility as evaluated by the readers of the story). This harm would come because by reading only the headline, people would believe he holds certain moral values regarding receiving “dirty money” - although the entire text of the story does not warrant such attribution.

This is a perfect example of what I argued about information disorders (I think it should really be called communication disorders…) - a “dispute of narratives”, each contains statements about people and events claimed to be true - ie. that each author (NYT or Lessig) would like the reader to accept as “facts”. They are competing because the statements being made are contradictory to each other, so if a reader needs to make a decision on some action based on these statements (e.g., support some initiative by L. Lessig, or tweet about it, etc...), s/he will need to choose between them.

There are numerous factors that will make a reader prefer one of the narratives over the other, and it is obvious to me that credibility signals will only cover some of them, as they are typically focused on the provenance aspect, especially the author. Granted, this is an important factor, but not the only one. This example illustrates this quite well - both have strong credibility signals, so these would not be the determining factor, and further detailed analysis would be necessary.

One could ask, if credibility signals are not enough, is there something that could mitigate this problem? In this particular case, I believe the best that could be achieved would be for the NYT do provide equal access to L. Lessig’s points, so that the reader would be immediately  made aware that even the headline is being contested. In fact,  a venue providing this mechanism (or not) could itself become another credibility signal, but one would still need to dig into the details of a particular story to make up one’s mind.

I think this is an excellent opportunity of us to try scope more precisely what are feasible credibility signals - ie. ones that provide some kind of information that can be useful to readers in choosing among competing narratives, AND could effectively be implemented  - also making it clearer what they can and cannot address.

To help organize the discussion, I take the opportunity to argue that we should have a layered architecture, where the base is a layer that provides authenticity to the signals in the layer(s) above. Some examples that would go in this layer, IMHO, are C2PA and JournalList. It seems to me that work on signals in this layer is more advanced, having implementations and already being tried out…

Cheers
Daniel