RE: A Credibility Use Case: Lessig v New York Times ("Clickbate Defamation")

I feel this example, while valid, is peripheral to the central problem.

Just numerically, the misinformation problem is to some degree about journalists and readers of institutional journalism but to a vastly larger degree about the millions of casual information broadcasters and consumers on social media and messaging that form the information supply chain.  See the recent example posts below that came into our platform. Credibility signals need to surface the reasons for a consumer to be anxious (or not) about these posts below at the point they encounter it.  These posts were seen by tens of thousands of people.

The sort of credibility signals we’d care about to solve this problem are very different than the ones being discussed in this email thread. This can’t be a discussion about awards won, or anything you might use to rate an established journalism organization.  Ratings such as those done by NewsGuard, Media Bias Fact Check, etc begins to provide some value, but barely so, in this situation.

https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/1429174503930613764

https://twitter.com/SmartAssJen/status/1431793390224429056