Re: Snopes & Webby

Sandro wrote:

> IMHO it's generally best (and is W3C practice) to wait until you have
> multiple business who all need the standard,

Is it the intent of the W3C to serve only the interests of incumbent
providers who have decided there is a business interest in achieving
interoperability? Is there no room for the voice of the user in specifying
what should exist?

Does the W3C oppose innovation, or the broadened use of its own standards,
unless that innovation comes from incumbent providers or is seen by those
incumbents as serving their business interests?  If the clarification of
standards might encourage new or innovative market entrants, is the W3C
opposed to such clarification? (Note: My personal belief is that a more
full definition of common methods in this space will enable the creation of
many new and innovative services and enterprises.)

It seems to me that the business interests of many of those incumbents who
now have significant control over public discourse would be diminished by
progress on standardizing the nexus between credibility signals, verifiable
credentials, and annotation. This is because that particular combination of
methods will tend to empower the providers of services other than those
currently controlled by the incumbents. For instance, if it were possible
to use an in-browser annotation client to make or view annotations and
credibility signals that were not hosted by an incumbent, the incumbent's
control of the user experience and of the information space would be
reduced. Some incumbents would see such a weakening of control as a threat
to their business interests. Thus, it seems that some incumbents may be
motivated to resist or block efforts to define interoperability efforts in
this area, whether or not the interests of users would be served by such
interoperability. Will the W3C be a party to or facilitate such blocking of
users' interests?

The utility of the existing Credibility Signals document appears to be
severely limited since the absence of a means to search for, discover, or
challenge such signals means that they are primarily useful for making
self-assertions embedded within the resources whose credibility they
signal. Clearly, resource providers will only be interested in
self-publishing signals which serve their own interests. If I have no
standard method for asking a third-party aggregator: "What signals exist
for this resource?," of what utility are credibility signals? As defined,
the signals seem to be little more than a means for resource providers to
puff-up their own credibility. (Is this why none of the existing signals
allow one to challenge, rather than support, credibility?)  I suggest that
the adoption of Credibility Signals would be immensely accelerated if there
was a standard mechanism to discover relevant signals. I also suggest that
defining the mechanism, even in advance of actual implementations, would
tend to motivate implementations.

The issue of the credibility of statements, primarily made using technical
means defined by the W3C (HTML, etc.), has risen to be among the most
prominent issues of our time. It is clear from this that the W3C has
failed, in an important way, to serve the interests of society, if not the
business interests of incumbent providers. It is time, I think, for the W3C
and others to take the initiative in advocating for mechanisms that might
reduce the apparent harm that has and is being caused by use of existing
standards.

I am aware that it is often unwise to advance specs to a final or
"standard" status until there are, in fact, a useful number of
implementations. However, in the many decades I've been in this business,
I've also seen that beginning the work of open specification often
motivates and inspires implementations. (Sometimes, if you build it, they
*will* come...) Thus, an effort will often begin as one which is primarily
aspirational, but evolve into one which is focused on back-and-forth
between actual implementers. Given our very strong need to advance the
state of affairs in this area, I think it reasonable to start an
aspirational effort now, in the hope that implementations will follow
later. If implementations don't follow, then I can see that abandoning the
effort might eventually be the right thing to do. Nonetheless, as an
industry, or community of folk, I think we owe it to our societies to give
this a try, whether or not the incumbents participate in the effort.

I believe that we should address at least these issues:

   - Define signals that challenge or deny credibility (i.e. negative
   signals)
   - Provide a means to make third-party statements about existing
   credibility signals or issuers of such signals (i.e. "Meta-signals (?)"
   that support, challenge, offer proof, provide context, etc. for existing
   signals.)
   - Provide a means to discover the existence of credibility signals which
   exist outside the context of the resources they describe or signals that
   have been aggregated into a collection (i.e. search)
   - Define how credibility signals should be provided as
   Verifiable Credentials.
   - Define how credibility signals should be annotated.
   - Define how alternative providers of credibility discovery services
   (i.e. search and annotation) may federate among themselves.

For what little it may be worth, if these things are defined, I commit to
implementing them.

bob wyman