Re: Trust.txt: Why another random .txt when we've got WebFinger and well-known URIs?

Bob, and the group...

Just to be clear, I am not running on a platform of trust.txt.

On page 8 of the spec., we encourage the use of "/well-known" so we are
clearly not against that.

The short answer to why we went with a text file is that we are working
with some extremely unsophisticated publishers. Take, for instance, the
publisher of the Hays Free Press, whom I met recently in Texas. She prints
news from her town on paper once a week, and maintains a website. As we all
know, when local news dies, news consumers fill in that vacuum with crap.
If she stops publishing, well, it would be bad, so we want to make things
as easy as possible for her and those like her doing the esteemable work of
keeping local journalism alive.

In my conversation with her, she was willing to post a file
<https://haysfreepress.com/trust.txt> in part because she already knew
about ads.txt, and so this was familiar to her. If I tried to start telling
her about RFC 7033, I would have lost her for sure. You are certainly right
that JRDs would be technically superior, but robots.txt has been around for
20+ years and the most entry-level web publisher knows about how it works.

Thank you for looking into trust.txt, and while I don't want people to vote
for me based on what they think of trust.txt, I think your question serves
as a useful model of why I am running. If you think that any new proposal
that is working to fix disinformation should follow, for example, the most
current standardized systems, you should voice that to the group. If the
group agrees, then that will be a part of how trust.txt -- and every other
effort out there -- will be evaluated.

-Scott Yates
Founder
JournalList.net, caretaker of the trust.txt framework
202-742-6842
Short Video Explanation of trust.txt <https://youtu.be/lunOBapQxpU>