Re: Scott Yates candidacy for Public Credibility group

I went back and read the mission of the group (pasted below for reference). Noting the general tone of the thread, perhaps we should get more intentional now about how we will have an impact on the world in a reasonable time frame.

Seems like we already have a really good start on some credibility indicators in the docs created under Sandro’s watch. One way to have impact with that (and I’m sure there are other ways) is to flesh it out to capture things we’ve missed, organize it and march it around to private platforms from Facebook, Twitter, smaller platforms and anyone else we want to see adopt this. Get their feedback, critiques, draw them in to the solution, and then publish a document that has some legitimacy and market the heck out of it so it gets adopted. We could support 3rd party efforts to build browser extensions, other tech, around these standards (not build our own).

I would gladly support Scott or Aviv or anyone who might take any impact oriented approach to lead the next phase of this group.

Chandran Sankaran <https://www.linkedin.com/in/chandran-sankaran/>

(I know some of you but not many.  I’ve been an entrepreneur for a couple of decades – not in media/journalism tech. I’ve been a sporadic contributor to this group. Currently involved in a commercial venture Repustar, supporting non-profits around fact-check standards, and some legislative things on misinformation in California.)

*******

The mission of the W3C Credible Web Community Group is to help shift the Web toward more trustworthy content without increasing censorship or social division. We want users to be able to tell when content is reliable, accurate, and shared in good faith, and to help them steer away from deceptive content. At the same time, we affirm the need for users to find the content they want and to interact freely in the communities they choose. To balance any conflict between these goals, we are committed to providing technologies which keep end-users in control of their Web experience.

The group's primary strategy involves data sharing on the Web, in the style of schema.org, using existing W3C data standards like JSON-LD. We believe significant progress toward our goals can be reached by properly specifying "credibility indicators", a vocabulary/schema for data about content and the surrounding ecosystem, which can help a person and/or machine decide whether a content item should be trusted.