From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 14:02
To: W3C Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Verifiable Credentials over Wireless (NFC and Bluetooth)
As the adoption rate of verifiable credentials increases (TruAge, US
Federal Government Agencies, European Digital Identity, US State
Government Agencies), and as some of the use cases move from purely
online flows to in person, it would be useful if we were able to
transmit VCs in more high-security, in-person scenarios, such as via
short range wireless (NFC and Bluetooth).

We're excited to announce the Verifiable Credentials Over Wireless
specification that does just that:

https://digitalbazaar.github.io/vc-wireless/

There is a use cases section that goes over some of the target use
cases such as:

* NFC presentation of things like legacy public transit passes
(putting "things that are not VCs into VCs and doing something useful
with them"),

* Compressing and sending a VC over NFC in less time than it takes to
tap a credit card,

* Performing a VC API workflow over NFC or Bluetooth, and

* Upgrading from optical or NFC to Bluetooth, local Wifi, or a wide
area mobile network connection. There are protocol examples in the
specification to show each of the use cases above.

We've also got a demo video of the specification in action available here:

https://youtu.be/hSG-J0LFqfk

We will be integrating the functionality into the VC Playground in the
coming weeks.

We do expect to make a call for adoption as a CCG work item at some
point in the future. More to come after W3C TPAC, but until then,
happy to answer any questions, concerns, or comments people might
have.

https://www.digitalbazaar.com/