Re: Verifiable Barcodes

Dear Manu and all,

I find it an interesting piece of work, but one that is done little favours by sensationalist FUD-style statements in the vein of  ‘The result of the lack of barcode security has resulted in a large global market for fraudulent documents, which are then used to open fraudulent lines of credit that fund illicit activity or purchase alcohol for underage individuals". That reminds me a lot of saying that blockchain is a flawed technology, because it is used in bitcoin, which in itself is used to buy drugs, weapons and money laundering (as if most money laundering was not based on fiat currency).

I encourage toning down the argumentative discourse a notch or two. IMHO no single technology is guilty of anything, specially taken out of the context of interaction with other technological and human mechanisms of control in which it is being applied.

Otherwise I support the research.

Cheers,

Luis MEIJUEIRO
luis.meijueiro@w3.org

CTIC Centro Tecnológico
C/ Ada Byron, 39  | 33203 Gijón  |  Asturias  |  España (Spain)
Ph: (+34) 984 291 212  Ext. 810