Re: About credential transfer mechanisms

Another idea:

Don't use credentials at all, just create a DID that identifies the
product, and whoever holds the DID's private key is considered the owner.

You can "transfer" the product by updating the DID's controller keys to
keys belonging to the new owner.

You can still have additional properties (like a GTIN) inside the DID
document, or you could even have credentials about the product.

The DID doesn't change if the owner changes, i.e. the product's
identifier is persistent.

You can reference earlier versions of the DID document using versionId
and versionTime parameters.

Of course you'd need a DID method other than did:web (since that isn't
controlled by keys) and other than did:key or did:jwk (since those can't
be updated).

Markus