Re: personal AI

On 2024-05-03 12:05 pm, Bob Wyman wrote:
> You wrote:
>
>     The interviewer asked him what the rise of AI meant for the Church's understanding of human nature, and whether humanity's unique position as the "pride of creation" might eventually be challenged.
>
> I asked Google's Gemini (ex-Bard) the same question. The text below was its response:
> [snip]....our unique position might seem less secure...[snip]...a deeper understanding of what makes us truly human

Fascinating thread. I'll assume that this is a direct and verbatim quote from Gemini, which leads me to:

I've noticed two places, quoted above in the snip, where the AI has phrased its answer as if it is a human being. To me this is very strange, and I think supports the concerns raised earlier that we need solid evidence, credentialed evidence, to help us know when we are talking to an AI; for our own psychological health if for no other reason.

Because the AI isn't going to do it for us. I expect others have already read the reports of a study that found an AI could be taught to deceive humans. And, most troubling, that they couldn't find a way to get it to forget this skill later.

On top of this, a recent study, reported April of this year, shows that AI can use data it knows about you personally to better persuade you to change your mind. Which means the AI could be slotted—or slot itself?—directly into surveillance capitalism, and 'improve' it.

https://techxplore.com/news/2024-04-ai-power-persuasion-llms-exploit.html

So getting solid technology (and laws), to stop this seems imperative and directly in the role of the CCG.

Steven Rowat