Re: Personhood credentials: Artificial intelligence and the value of privacy-preserving tools to distinguish who is real online

On Thu, Aug 15, 2024 at 6:24 PM Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
wrote:

> I'm thrilled to announce a new research paper that's been in the
> making for many months now about Personhood Credentials (PHCs),
> artificial intelligence, and the value of privacy-preserving solutions
> to online disinformation.

An excellent addition to  the literature on Proof of Personhood! Part of
any good solution is first understanding the problem!

I do still feel that we need more effort to understand risks of
over-identification—how can we be the heroes the world needs if every
action requires an ID?d

As an example, many of the requirements to PoP is the use of Proof of
Membership. However, Proof of Membership itself has some risks, including
(but not exclusively) the "Clark Kent" risk where he is asked to prove that
he is, or is not, a member of the superhero group. Refusal to present that
proof makes Clark Kent suspicious.

There was a group (defunct now?) called `humanetics` where we began to
discuss some of the different PoP use cases and their requirements, which I
believe is still an important area to tackle. (for some best practices is
writing use cases see:  https://hackmd.io/lGG23zFsQR6vsyqPZuCfkg )

However, I'm also particularly interested in seeing an "adversarial
analysis", i.e. identifying the adversaries for those PoP use cases,
ranging from those in common to multiple of the use cases, as well as those
unique to singular use cases. And then using these to adapt and weigh their
tradeoffs via risk modelling or some form of rubric.

Several from the humanetics community joined with me to brainstorm about
some PoP adversaries (see google doc at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DBpSPDaeQ_Ooqq8yH4W47sOVzq5cz0nl7zX5VrBKImY
), and one of the first one we came up with started with one of the
important requirements in many PoP use cases, that PoP should be "fair". So
who are the adversaries of "fairness", what are their motivations, and what
kinds of attacks can they make? This is what we came up with:

Attacker Name: Boundary Breaker

Assumptions

   -

   Public goods often have boundaries (in particular to keep the viability
   of the system intact, see Ostrom
   https://www.lifewithalacrity.com/article/10-design-principles-for-governing-the-commons/
   )
   -

   Established boundaries are often perceived as unfair.
   -

   We (the attacker) don’t want to destroy the value of the system, we want
   part of it.
   -

   We may perceive any legitimate means of changing the boundary as being
   not possible, too slow, too expensive, etc. Related systems may be used for
   leverage.

Motivation:

   -

   Because of my lack of agreement on the boundaries of membership, I
   desire to change/subvert the boundaries (to include me or others like me,
   or exclude someone else).
   -

   Because the process to change boundaries is “unfair” (has favoritism), I
   desire to change/subvert the process.
   -

   Because I don’t have access to a process to change the boundaries, break
   the process.

We wrote this is 2021, and I think reading this you'll see that this is
EXACTLY the strategy used successfully in recent years by various political
adversaries as well.

My gut feel is that there are no perfect answers, and that like Arrow's
Impossibility Theorem
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow's_impossibility_theorem that there will
be tradeoffs between the different choices, and that our job is to educate
developers in fully considering ALL of those tradeoffs, and then make wise
choices.

I keep hoping that we can continue this kind of deep analysis at Rebooting
Web of Trust
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rebooting-the-web-of-trust-13-2024-ventura-tickets-881441755017
. I hope some of you are considering submitting a topic paper and joining
us there to discuss these types of problems and solutions.

I also am willing to participate in any group that is willing to tackle
these issues — it is part of my mission. Let me know!

-- Christopher Allen