Re: How much is it reasonable to generalize from the TruAge implementation?

This thread has already raised significant issues with capability detection
and there may be enough agreement to drive toward a consensus on how to
move forward. I see a couple of high importance cases to consider toward a
consensus:

1 - Many VC uses don't need to prevent duplication of a VC and therefore
could avoid capability detection because the holder would be free to move
the VC to whatever wallets or agents they want.

2 - Many VC uses don't suffer from calling home because they're public.
This includes most professional credentials and most high-value credentials
when used by law enforcement. It's only the use of high value credentials
outside of law enforcement that poses a calling home issue.

3 - Many correlation problems have little to do with the VCs themselves and
can be handled through mediation. VC subjects can choose their mediators
the way we choose a VPN, or ApplePay or Hide My email from Apple. In some
cases, like TruAge, the "mediator" is not freely chosen by the subject but
the handling of the VC is done by a dedicated app rather than a general
purpose wallet. Can we list the top three use-cases that realistically do
not allow correlation in spite of payment, shipping, KYC, or notification
components regardless of what VCs are also involved?

4 - How many VCs will be used by delegates of the subject for convenience
and cost? Are we actively trying to prevent delegation by default? If so,
then what are the top three cases where delegation absolutely cannot be
allowed?

5 - How will we solve the most important privacy problem of all, which is
the right to be left alone by default? As subjects, we want to be anonymous
by default. We would pay cash for small transactions that are below the KYC
limits and we would use credit cards we choose as payment mediators in
order to benefit from various fraud protections? Will there be a rise of
logistics mediators as well to guarantee that our shipping information is
not used to correlate us?

My guess, after working on digital identity use cases as much as anyone, is
that after we answer the five questions above, we will be left with some
problems around online uses that will benefit from wallet certification.
Even then, it's not clear that capabilities will be a useful alternative to
vendor certification or trust marks.

Adrian