Re: How much is it reasonable to generalize from the TruAge implementation?

> This means, for example, that in high
assurance use cases, verifiers should ask for liveness check VCs along
with whatever other VCs are being requested. It does not mean that
they should have to trust a wallet; rather, they should trust the
liveness check VC issuer, whomever that may be.

Yes, I'm generally in alignment with your thinking here @Dave. This
generally maps to how the web already works today for these sorts of
technologies as well. E.g. when I show up at some website that wants to
meet regulations today they KYC me and some perform a liveness check. In
this scenario, they don't need assurances that their JS executed properly
on my device or that an extension didn't tamper with it. Instead, they just
make sure that the response I send to them matches their criteria and if
there's a way in which I can subvert their checks that's generally
considered an authentication bypass security vulnerability.

It's worth pointing out that liveness checks will be controversial in and
of themselves too. Today, many sites don't do these checks simply because
it costs them a fair amount of money to perform these checks which
naturally filters out who actually utilizes these technologies to a very
select number of use cases who absolutely need them like financial
services. As soon as we make these liveness checks easy to perform (e.g.
make it a web platform API with browser mediated UI) we open the door for
more people to rely on it. The usability of this becomes safer and more
useful in the context of a single interaction, but in the context of a
general day of a user on the web it will likely degrade the experience
because they'll have to perform more liveness checks across more sites now
they're cheap and easy to perform. We have to be very careful about this
capability to limit when and where it's actually getting used otherwise,
this could very easily turn into a user harming technology as Adrian points
out.

In fact, I'd flip this on it's head and say we should instead be setting
restrictions within the wallet in terms of what assurances it needs from
the verifier before it's willing to submit a liveness check in the same way
a browser needs to validate a TLS certificate before they will render a
page within an isolated process, but at least the direction this is
suggesting is moving way more in the right direction and aligning with the
web architecture of keeping each roles separate rather than with
Widevine/WEI style technology which has been controversial each time it's
been proposed.