Video archival of CCG Meetings (was: Re: [MINUTES] W3C CCG Credentials CG Call - 2023-11-07)

On Thu, Nov 9, 2023 at 2:37 AM <fotiou@aueb.gr> wrote:
> Sorry if it has been repeatedly asked, but I think it will be very convenient to include in such emails a link to the video recording as well.
>
> https://meet.w3c-ccg.org/archives/w3c-ccg-weekly-2023-11-07.mp4

Hey Nikos, yes, agreed, that would be helpful. We had started with the
video recordings as an experimental feature and have been using them
for over 18 months now. We weren't intending to archive them forever,
but it seems like people are now watching the videos more than
listening to the audio recordings (which is understandable, they're
useful!) and so we might have to archive them for a long time given
that they're a useful resource. The cost for long-term archival is
negligible, so we could probably just say "video recording is here to
stay" at this point.

The only question is: Should the long-term video link location be to
the CCG servers or YouTube? (and I expect the community to not
entirely agree on what the proper answer is here, we'll probably end
up doing both!).

In the background, Nick Longcroft has been working on auto-uploading
the video to YouTube in order to make it more accessible (YouTube
Channel, auto-transcriptions that are better than what we have right
now, backup for the years of audio/video we have to date, etc.). Since
that's a volunteer-run endeavour, and because we have over 484 hours
of video/audio now, and because we're currently trying to figure out
some last mile details around a YouTube account for the CCG, it's
dragging out (not due to Nick, but due to the folks that need to setup
and manage those accounts/scripts).

There are still two features that we're "so close" on:

1. Automatic minutes upload/archival.
2. Video upload and archival at YouTube.

In any case, this is just an update on where we're at for those that
care. You can always hack the URLs, like Nikos did, to get the video
links.

OR, if someone wants to volunteer some time to put in a PR to update
the script to link to the video, we could pull that in pretty quickly
and try it out:

https://github.com/w3c-ccg/meetings/blob/main/scribe-tool/index.js#L77-L79

https://www.digitalbazaar.com/