From: David Chadwick <d.w.chadwick@truetrust.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, March 7, 2023 11:36 AM
To: public-credentials@w3.org
Subject: Re: [Agenda] W3C CCG 3/7/23 - Lists of Verifiable Issuers and Verifiers

Hi Bob

I actually do not think your use case is one that is suitable for a list of trusted issuers (or verifiers) as described by Isaac.

First, who would issue this list? Each list has to have a TTP that issues it. I do not know who it would be for your use case.

Secondly if this list contains the id of every social web user it is pretty well next to useless from a trust perspective since a large proportion of the world's population will be on it - and what can they all be trusted for?

If you consider the web PKI, which is truly global in scale, then there are probably only about 500 root CAs in the world, which would equate to 500 trusted lists, and these are sufficient to hold the identities of every public TLS web site in the world. So web PKI has demonstrated that trusted lists are scalable to global proportions.

In the model described by Isaac, I do not expect issuers to be transient entities, but rather longer lived entities, such as universities, hospitals, governments, commercial companies etc. Thus the lifetime of a list should be long enough for most practical purposes.

Kind regards

David