RE: [EXT] Re: Could Jevons Paradox take digital credentials in the wrong direction?

Kyle,

This seems related to some active work in the FICG to define a charter for a W3C WG that would work on a FedCM-like browser API that would enable any website to make a request for any information from any Identity Provider.

Currently, the architecture has the user squarely in the middle and wallets of VCs should be a possible source of the IdP data.

From: Kyle Den Hartog <kyle@pryvit.tech>
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2023 4:46 PM
To: Drummond Reed <Drummond.Reed@gendigital.com>
Cc: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>; W3C Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: Could Jevons Paradox take digital credentials in the wrong direction?

So as I understand the technical solutions presented for the mDL API use case the two plausible technical solutions are “verify the verifiers” which is being done via domain certificates currently and “public availability of VP requests” which is being done by relying on the mDL standardized schema.

I think we can use this particular use case to really hone in past the high level approaches and as a community offer feedback to this spec and get very specific about some of these answers now. We no long need to settle for high level sound bites.

For example, do we believe this API should even exist? My hunch says even if we unanimously say no it will still get shipped.

So, do we believe that all websites should be able to request the mDL or just some?

If it’s just some how should the API determine which are acceptable and which aren’t?

Is a high level “all or nothing consent request” based on the permissions UI in browsers (the ones used to request location) adequate for the first iteration of this API? Should selective disclosure be required in the first iteration?

Do we believe that the technology should be leading the use case here or should regulation be setting guard rails first like we’ve seen already with some states regulating adult content websites? If regulations and/or trust frameworks should lead here how does the API design enforce that or is it expected that the websites self enforce this?

Do we need to advocate in legislative bodies some sort of reporting structure such as you can report it to your attorney general to report websites that are abusing the API?

Adrian mentioned the usage of delegation here, how might delegation be used or excluded within this use case?

Put simply, I’d like to reframe this discussion to focus specifically on the use case we have at hand here so that we can specifically engage with the main contributors in the WICG working on this. For me personally, I’m hesitant to say we as a society are ready to enable this technology having seen how COVID Passes went. There was a lot of controversy globally caused by them even if it was a small minority. Now we’re looking at exploring how to provide a high value credential to any website next. Are we ready for this?

Just some questions for thought to help guide this discussion a bit better.

-Kyle