From: Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com>
Sent: zaterdag 24 juni 2023 04:54
To: Brent Zundel <Brent.Zundel@gendigital.com>
Cc: Kyle Den Hartog <kyle@pryvit.tech>; W3C Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [EXT] Could Jevons Paradox take digital credentials in the wrong direction?

I have written specifically about this issue for about three years and have been firmly asked by various chairs and others to desist.

In particular, I have argued that VCs are a dual use technology and we need to recognize and actively discuss the harmful consequence of standardizing digital credentials. The potential harm comes from vastly more efficient surveillance and the burden of asking subjects to spend more time and know-how to exercise finer grained consent.

On the flip side, we have few if any legal limits on surveillance (especially in the US) and we have ample evidence that people will grant vast power over data use to platform operators in return for subsidized services and convenience.

Sadly, I've pretty much given up on W3C WGs taking any of this seriously.

Adrian